Shimla Mirch Sabzi
You’ll often see variations of this dish with potato as well but I like it nice and simple like this as a side dish for a hot curry. It also makes it very quick to cook which makes it easy to cook alongside the last stage of a main dish which is always something I like in a side dish. I like to cook the peppers until they are starting to soften but still have some crunch to them so while it does reheat OK I find that it is always better fresh.
Serves 4 as a side
1/2 tablespoon of rapeseed oil
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 green chilli, sliced into rings
1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
1 teaspoon of cumin
1/4 teaspoon of salt
4 green peppers cut into 1-2cm thick strips
2 teaspoons of tomato puree
1/4 teaspoon of garam masala
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion and fry for 3 minutes until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the garlic and chilli and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the turmeric, cumin and salt and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add the green pepper and tomato puree, mix well and cook for another 5-10 minutes until the peppers are tender, I like to leave them with a little bit of crispiness.
- Stir in the garam masala.