Green Lentil and Chard Soup
With the plan to reduce the abundance of chard in the garden I made this lentil and chard soup this weekend. With the lentils and the mountain of chard that went into it it is quite a filling soup and certainly a meal in itself.
15 sprays of Frylight olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 red chillis, finely chopped
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
200g green lentils rinsed
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1.5 litres of water
700g chard, stalks cut into 1 inch pieces, leaves chopped into 2 inch pieces
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Saute the onion for 5 minutes until softened and golden.
- Add the garlic and chilli and cook for two minutes while stirring
- Add the tomato puree, water, tomatoes, lentils and the oregano and thyme
- Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 20 minutes.
- Add the chard stalks and cook for 5 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add the chard leaves and salt and pepper and cook for 15-20 minutes until the lentils and chard are tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.