Spicy Green Lentil & Kale Soup
This is my new favourite lentil soup recipe, I adapted it slightly from this recipe and I have to say the results are rather amazing, this will definitely become a regular in my house.
Makes 6 portions
15 sprays of frylight olive oil spray
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 red chillis, finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
400g tin of chopped tomatoes, juice and flesh
200g green lentils, rinsed
1 litre vegetable stock
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Large handfull of chopped kale with the ribs removed
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Heat the oil and add the chopped onion and carrot and cook for around 5 minutes until the onion softens and turns translucent.
- Add the garlic and chilli and cook while stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the cumin, curry powder and thyme and cook while stirring for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the lentils, stock, water, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender but still hold their shape.
- Transfer 500ml of the soup to a blender and purée until smooth.
- Add the puréed soup back to the pan and add the chopped kale and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and check seasoning.