Chana masala is a tangy chickpea curry and like my previous recipe for this dish this one is made with tinned chickpeas for speed and is very quick to make. I like chana masala served with brown basmati rice and garnished with some red onion rings and a few fresh coriander leaves but you could also have it with chapatti or naan.
Makes 4 portions
1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 inch of ginger, finely chopped
1 green chilli
1/2 tablespoon of ground coriander
1 teapoon of garam masala
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 x 400g tins of whole peeled tomatoes, with juices
2 x 400g tins of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon of dry mango powder/amchur powder
Red onion rings and fresh coriander for garnishing
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the cumin seeds and cook until they sizzle.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger and green chilli and cook for about five minutes, stirring often.
- Add the coriander, garam masala, turmeric, paprika, chilli powder and salt and cook for 30 seconds stirring continuously.
- Add the whole peeled tomatoes and their juices and cook for 5 minutes while using the back of a spoon to break the tomatoes apart.
- Add the chickpeas and amchur powder and bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.