Puy Lentil Bolognese
This is a variation of my previous red lentil bolognese but this time I used puy lentils which gives a better result I think. With the lentils and chilli it’s hardly a traditional bolognese but I like it, it’s very satisfying. Leave out the chilli and chilli powder if that’s not your thing, it’s essential for me though. Serve with a pasta of your choice or like I did today with courgette “spaghetti” made with my new vegetable spiraliser.
Serves 5 or 6
150g puy lentils, washed
1 large onion, finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, crushed
3 red chillis
3 sticks celery, chopped
2 carrots, grated
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
450ml vegetable stock
2 tablespoons tomato purée
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoons extra hot chilli powder
1 teaspoon vegetarian worcester sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Frylight Olive Oil spray
Pasta or spiralised courgette to serve.
1. Spray a large cold pan with Frylight olive oil spray (15 sprays should do it), heat the pan to a medium heat and saute the onion, celery and carrot for around 5 minutes or until softened.
2. Add the fresh chilli and garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Add the chilli powder and stir constantly for 1 minute.
4. Add the vegetable stock, lentils, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, worcester sauce, dried herbs, salt and pepper.
5. Stir well and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for 30 to 40 minutes until lentils are cooked. Adjust seasoning if required.
6. Serve with pasta or courgette noodles.
For the courgette “spaghetti” I spiralised a courgette, sprayed a few sprays of Frylight olive oil spray in a frying pan, heated it up and added the spiralised courgette and a quarter teaspoon of garlic salt and sauted them for around 3-4 minutes turning regularly.