Black Bean, Kidney Bean and Brown Lentil Chilli
Since first making my Three Bean and Stout Chilli recipe I’ve not made any other type of chilli so I thought it was about time to mix it up and try something a little different. In this one I’ve used black beans, kidney beans and added some whole brown lentils to give it a nice thick consistency. I didn’t use stout in this one but I think I will give it a go next time as it works so well in the other recipe. I served this with some home made potato wedges tonight but it would also go well with rice, tacos or a baked potato.
Makes 6 servings
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
4 or more chillis, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons extra hot chilli powder
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
200g dried whole brown lentils
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
400g tin of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
400g tin of black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons lime juice
Frylight olive oil spray
1. Spray the cold pan with Frylight olive oil spray (15 sprays should do it), heat the pan to a medium heat and saute the onions onion, peppers and chillis until the onion is soft and translucent.
2. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Stir in the chilli powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and cook for another minute stirring constantly.
4. Add 800ml of water stir well then add the lentils, cover and bring to the boil and boil for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add the two tine of chopped tomatoes, black beans and kidney beans. Return to the boil then reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes stirring frequently. Add more water if required.
6. Stir in the lime juice.