Kale and Bean Soup
More soup and more kale! I seem to be living on the stuff at the moment. I fancied soup again today and wanted something with beans in, all I had in the cupboard was a tin of Sainsburys Mixed Pulses which has a nice mix of different beans so in it went, anything similar or even just one type of bean would work. Chuck in a load of thickly sliced veg and the kale and the result is a nice healthy and nutritious soup.
Makes 6 servings.
400g tin of mixed beans eg. Sainsburys Mixed Pulses, drained and rinsed.
250g Kale, thick stalks removed and leaves shredded
1 large onion, chopped
2 red chillis, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 sticks of celery, chopped
2 carrots, thickly sliced
2 leeks, thickly sliced
2 x small potatoes, diced
1.4 litres vegetable stock
1 tablespoon of tomato puree
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon paprika
Freshly ground black pepper
Frylight olive oil spray
1. Spray the cold pan with Frylight olive oil spray (15 sprays should do it), heat the pan to a medium heat and saute the onions for 5 minutes or until the onions are softened but not browned.
2. Add the garlic and chillies and cook for another minute.
3. Add the celery, carrot and leeks and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add the stock, tomato puree, beans thyme, oregano, paprika and salt and pepper, bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
5. Add the kale and simmer for another 15 minutes.