Black Eyed Bean Curry
A nice nutritious bean curry that would be good served with rice, chapatti or just in a bowl on its own which is how I had it tonight.
Makes 3 servings.
250g black eyed beans, rinsed
Large onion, chopped
2 Green chillies, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
3 cm piece of ginger, finely chopped
200g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon of cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1 teaspoon of extra hot chilli powder
1/2 tablespoon of coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon of garam masala
1/2 teaspoon of dried fenugreek leaves
1/4 teaspoon of asafoetida
Salt to taste
Frylight sunflower oil spray
Few sprigs of fresh coriander to garnish
1. Put the black eyed beans in a pan, cover with water and boil for 10 minutes then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Spray the cold pan with Frylight olive oil spray (15 sprays should do it), heat the pan to a medium heat and saute the onions with the asafoetida for 5 minutes or until softened.
3. Add the garlic, ginger and chilies and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add the spices and cook for one minute stirring continually.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat.
6. Mash a quarter of the black eyed beans and add to the pan with the remaining beans, 250ml of water and salt to taste.
7. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until it thickens.
8. Garnish with coriander if desired and serve with rice, chapatti or just on its own.