This dal made with yellow split peas is really tasty, I had it as a side with my root vegetable curry but I could easily eat this on its own, it’s lovely.
Serves 4 or 6 as a side.
115g dried yellow split peas
1 small onion, chopped
2cm ginger, chopped fine
2 green chillies, chopped
1/2 a 227g tin of chopped tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon amchoor powder
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon sunflower oil
1. Rinse the split peas and soak for 1 hour then drain and rinse
2. Put the split peas in a pan and cover with several inches of water. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes, then simmer covered on a low heat for 35 minutes or until tender then drain and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a wok over a medium heat and fry the onion for 4 minutes.
4. Add the ginger and chillies, and cook for 1 minute.
5. Add the tomato, cumin, chilli powder, turmeric and amchoor and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Mix in the split peas and cook for 10 minutes stirring frequently.
7. Remove from the heat and season with salt and garam masala.