Green Lentil Curry
A moist lentil curry which is perfect for a quick week night meal as it hardly needs any prep and even uses ready cooked tinned green lentils for speed. You can knock it up in no time at all and serve with naan, chapatti or just on its own.
Serves 2 or 3.
400g tin of green lentils in water, drained and rinsed
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 onion, finely chopped
1 green pepper, finely chopped or 80g of frozen green beans.
2 green chillis, finely chopped
2 red chillis, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2cm ginger, finely chopped
2 teaspoons extra hot chilli powder
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 Tablespoon kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
1/2 tablespoon rapeseed oil
Fresh coriander, chopped (optional)
1. Blend the tomatoes, garlic, ginger, chillis together
2. Heat the oil in a wok, add the asafoetida and then saute the onion and green pepper (if used) for 8 minutes or until soft but not browned.
3. Add the chilli powder, ground coriander, cumin, turmeric and black pepper and stir constantly for 30 seconds the add the tomato/garlic/ginger/chilli purée and kasoori methi.
4. Cook for 5 minutes or until the pepper is soft.
5. If using green beans cook for 3 minutes in the microwave or as advised on the packet.
6. Mix in the drained lentils and green beans (if used) and simmer for 10-15 minutes, add a little water if required.
7. Stir in the salt and garam masala and add the chopped coriander.