Spicy Bean Casserole
I don’t know if casserole is really the right word for this as it wasn’t made in one but it is spicy and has beans in it and Spicy Bean Thing didn’t sound as good. There’s lots of leeway for substituting ingredients in this one so would be great for using up that leftover veg, celery, carrot etc. could all be added and I reckon butterbeans would also be really good instead of the cannellini beans.
400g tin borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely sliced
1 green bell pepper, finely sliced
4 red chillies, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
400ml vegetable stock
1 tablespoon of tomato purée
2 teaspoons of ground cumin
2 teaspoons of ground coriander
2 teaspoons of extra hot chilli powder
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1. Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat and gently sauté the onion for 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, peppers and chillies and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Add the cumin, coriander and chilli powder and cook for another minute.
4. Add the stock, tomato purée, tomatoes, salt & pepper then bring to the boil and simmer gently loosely covered for 30 minutes or until thickened.
5. Stir in the beans and cook for 5 minutes or until beans are heated through.