Chilli Bean Soup
More soup. I really like soup, and chilli, and beans so why not put them all together. I took my inspiration from Firefoods recipe here but went in my own direction, it was a huge success and I’ll definitely be making this again and again. It’s a really substantial main meal soup and as with most soups there is plenty of leeway for substituting ingredients or adding more veg and borlotti or cannellini beans would work just as well as the kidney beans and of course you can use whatever mix and heat of chillis you like.
Makes 7 good servings.
1 large red onion, chopped
3 sticks of celery, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 Large red pepper, chopped fine
1 Large green pepper, chopped fine
6 garlic cloves, chopped fine
3 scotch bonnet chillis, chopped
2 green chilli, chopped
2 red chilli, chopped
400g tin of kidney beans, drained & rinsed
400g tin of haricot beans, drained & rinsed
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato purée
800ml vegetable stock
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon extra hot chilli powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
Salt to taste
1/2 tablespoon of olive oil
1. Heat the oil on a medium heat and sauté the onion for 8 minutes.
2. Add the carrot, celery and peppers and cook for another 10 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for another 2 minutes
4. Add the spices and cook for 30 seconds stirring well to coat all the vegetables
5. Add the stock, tomatoes, tomato purée and beans.
6. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 25 minutes.