Courgette, Chilli and Tomato Soup
I was given some more giant courgettes by a colleague this week so another courgette soup was in order, last time I made a curried courgette soup so I thought I’d try something different this time and took some ideas from my Lentil, Chilli & Tomato soup which is one of my favourite soup recipes. It was a great success, which is just as well as I’ll be eating it for weeks!
Makes around 9 servings.
1Kg courgettes, diced
2 red onions, chopped
2 carrots, diced
6 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 red chilli, chopped
3 scotch bonnet chillis, chopped
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato puree
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried parsley
2 teaspoons hot paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1.5 litre vegetable stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Heat the oil in a large pan on a medium heat and sauté the onion for around 8 minutes.
2. Add the chillis, garlic, carrot and courgette and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, stock, herbs, paprika, salt and pepper
4. Bring to the boil then reduce to a low heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
5. Check seasoning and liquidise with a wand blender.