Spicy Bean Hotpot
This hearty mixed bean hotpot is a good standby meal, easy to make using ingredients that are usually to hand and is very satisfying on these cold nights. You can whatever beans you fancy, I use a tin of Sainsbury’s “Mixed Pules” which contains chick peas, soya beans, black eyed beans, pinto beans, red kidney beans, adzuki beans. I got the idea for this from a recipe in the Brit Spice book by Manju Malhi and this is my own heavily modified and much spicier version.
Makes 2 servings.
1 x 400g tin of mixed pulses, drained and rinsed
1 x 200g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped, fine
2.5 cm ginger, chopped fine
2 green chillis, chopped fine
1 teaspoon extra hot chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
300ml hot water
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions for 5 minutes.
2. Add the green chilli and fry for another minute.
3. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for another minute.
4. Stir in the chilli powder, ground coriander, cumin, turmeric, pepper and tomatoes and cook over a high heat for 5 minutes until it thickens and darkens.
5. Add the mixed pulses and salt, stir well and cook for 3 more minutes.
6. Stir in 300ml of hot water and simmer for 5 minutes
7. Transfer to an casserole dish, cover and bake at gas mark 3 for 1 hour.