Chocolate Fridge Cake
My mum used to make us something very much like this when we were kids and it was one of my favourites but at some point the recipe got lost and despite our protestations it was never made again – although I now suspect it was never lost at all and she just got fed up of making it for us, it’s not difficult to make after all.
After looking at many variations I finally came up with this recipe which I think this is pretty close to the original. It’s definitely a bit of a treat as it’s not exactly healthy (it has got raisins in though – that’s health food right?). Best served straight from the fridge but be warned, it won’t last long!
300g digestive biscuits
100g raisins and/or sultanas
200g soft margarine
4 tablespoons golden syrup
1 heaped tablespoon cocoa powder
1. Put the digestive biscuits in a bag and bash into crumbs and small pieces with a rolling pin then mix in a bowl with the raisins.
2. Melt the margarine, syrup and cocoa powder in pan, stirring constantly until it just starts to bubble.
3. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well so all combined.
4. Pour into a foil lined baking tray (approx 18cm x 24cm) and press out until level.
5. Melt the chocolate in a bowl placed in a pan with a couple of inches of hot (not boiling) water until it flows freely then pour over the top and spread out evenly.
6. Refridgerate overnight before cutting up.