This is an update the bolognese I made with TVP here, at the time I thought it would work well with Lentils and I was right. Serve with spaghetti of pasta of your choice or it goes well with a jacket potatoes. Makes around 6 servings and freezes well.
115g red lentils, washed
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 sticks celery, chopped
2 carrots, grated
1x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
450ml vegetable stock
2 tablespoons tomato purée
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Grated parmesan* to garnish (optional)
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium to large saucepan. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic and fry gently for about 5 minutes until softened.
2. Add the vegetable stock, lentils, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, dried herbs, salt and pepper.
3. Stir well and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for 30 to 40 minutes until lentils are cooked. Adjust seasoning if required.
4. Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
6. Drain and divide the pasta into portions and spoon over the bolognese sauce and sprinkle with the parmesan.
*Parmesan contains rennet so not strictly vegetarian, vegetarian alternatives are available but won’t be called Parmesan, eg. Sainsbury’s “Italian Hard Cheese”.