Curried Courgette Soup
I had planned to make my Lentil, Chilli and Tomato soup this weekend but I was given some courgettes by a green fingered colleague during the week (including this monster) so I decided to make a courgette soup instead. Fearing it might otherwise be a bit bland I put plenty of spices and some fresh chillis in and it was a great success. Makes enough for 6 portions.
1Kg courgettes, quartered lengthways and sliced
2 onions, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 green chillis, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons extra hot chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
1 litre vegetable stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large pan on a medium heat and sauté the onion for around 5 minutes until tender and translucent.
2. Add the courgette, chillis, garlic and spices and cook until the courgette is tender.
3. Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil then reduce to a low heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly then blend until almost smooth with a wand blender.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste then bring back to the boil and serve with some crusty bread.