Baked Bean Balti
I’m sure we’ve all added curry powder to liven up a tin of beans before but this incredibly quick, but tasty, recipe goes a little further. I based it on a recipe from the Brit Spice book by Manju Malhi but I’ve upped the quantity of spices and added some garlic and chilli powder. It makes a great quick lunchtime meal and goes well with chapatis, naan, pitta bread or just on toast.
1 tablespoon of sunflower oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 green chilli, finely chopped
1 teaspoon of hot chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
400g tin of baked beans
A pinch of salt (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion for a minute.
2. Add the chilli and garlic and fry for a couple of minutes, stirring continuously, until the onions begin to turn golden brown.
3. Add the spices and fry for another minute.
4. Add the beans, reduce the heat and cook for 3 minutes. You can also add a knob of butter for a creamier texture if that’s your thing.
5. Taste, then season with salt, if necessary.