Aloo Matar is a potato and green pea dish cooked in a spicy tomato sauce, it’s easy to make and goes well with warm chapati or naan. There are many variations of Aloo Matar and I came up with this one by using bits from several recipes. The method for the sauce is very similar to the last couple of recipes.
Serves 3 or 4.
3 medium potatoes
100g frozen green peas
1 medium onion, chopped
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
3 green chillies, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2cm fresh ginger, chopped fine
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon coriander powder
2 teaspoon extra hot chilli powder
1 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
1. Peel the potatoes and cut into bite sized pieces, boil for 8 minutes and drain.
2. Blend the tomatoes, garlic, chillis and ginger into a purée.
3. Heat the oil on a medium heat and check it is hot enough by adding one cumin seed, if it cracks right away the oil is hot enough. Add the rest of the cumin seeds and the asafoetida.
4. After the cumin seeds crack add the chopped onions and fry for 5 minutes.
5. Add the tomato/garlic/chilli/ginger purée, turmeric, paprika, coriander powder and chilli powder, mix well and simmer for 10 minutes on a medium heat.
6. Add the green peas and 100ml of hot water and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Add the potatoes and mix well, mashing a few pieces to add some thickness to the gravy.
8. Add the mango powder and some extra hot water if necessary to get the desired consistency and simmer on a medium heat for 5 mins.
9. Add the garam masala and salt to taste and mix in the chopped coriander.