A simple bolognese made with TVP Mince, this will probably also work well with Lentils, I’ll have to give it a try next time (it does, see new recipe here). Serve with spaghetti of pasta of your choice.
An interesting way to serve bolognese is in giant pasta shells (Conchiglioni). Cook the pasta shells in salted water until just tender and drain well, spread a layer of bolognese in the bottom of a baking tray, place the pasta shells on top and spoon bolognese into each one and any remaining over the top. Sprinkle generously with grated parmesan*, cover with tin foil and bake at gas mark 4 for around 20-30 minutes. See my Conchiglioni Lentil Bolognese Recipe here.
25g TVP soya mince (eg. Granose)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion (chopped)
2 garlic clove (crushed)
1 celery stick (chopped)
1 medium carrot (grated)
1x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
125ml vegetable stock
1 tablespoon tomato purée
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Grated parmesan* to garnish (optional)
1. Re-hydrate the soya mince as directed.
2. Heat the olive oil in a medium to large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and fry gently for about 5 minutes until softened.
3. Add celery, carrot, and re-hydrated soya mince. Fry for another minute and then add chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, tomato puree, dried herbs, salt and pepper.
4. Stir well and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for a further 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning if required.
5. Meanwhile cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions.
6. Divide spaghetti into two portions, spoon over the bolognese sauce and sprinkle with the parmesan.
*Parmesan contains rennet so not strictly vegetarian, vegetarian alternatives are available but won’t be called Parmesan, eg. Sainsbury’s “Italian Hard Cheese”.