Saag Paneer is a spicy spinach and paneer cheese dish that works well as a side dish or served with naan or pakora for a main course. Paneer is perfect for vegetarians as it is high in protein.
225g paneer cheese cut into cubes
500g frozen spinach
1 medium onion, chopped roughly
6 green finger chillies, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cm ginger, minced or 2 teaspoons of lazy ginger
1 teaspoon of cumin powder
1 teaspoon of coriander powder
1 teaspoon of chilli powder
1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
Half a teaspoon of garam masala
2 tablespoons of sunflower oil
120ml hot water
Salt to taste
1. Cut the paneer into cubes (roughly 1 x 2cm) and toss with the turmeric, chilli powder and a teaspoon of salt.
2. Heat the oil over a high flame and fry the paneer until pale brown on two opposite sides. Remove from the oil, draining carefully.
3. In the same oil, fry the onions, ginger and garlic and when the onion starts to go translucent mix the chopped green chilli, cumin and coriander. Fry for about five minutes until the mixture turns golden brown.
4. Mix in the frozen spinach and cook for another five minutes. When it is thoroughly defrosted and mixed evenly add 120ml of hot water and blend with a hand blender to a smooth creamy mixture.
5. Add the fried paneer pieces back in and the garam masala. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes until the water dries up.
6. Add salt to taste.