Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
Lentils make a great base for a vegetarian alternative to Shepherd’s Pie (or should that be Gardener’s Pie?). Very satisfying.
There is an updated version of this recipe here that uses Puy Lentils.
3 Large potatoes
250g Red split lentils
2 Large carrots, chopped
2 Sticks of celery, chopped
1 Red onion chopped
3 Cloves of garlic, minced
2 Red chillis
500ml vegetable stock
2 tablespoons of tomato puree
Splash of red wine
Salt & Pepper
1. Turn oven on at Gas mark 6 to preheat
2. Peel and dice potatoes and bring to boil in a large pan of water, boil for 15 mins.
3. Wash the lentils thoroughly in a sieve and put in a small pan with 500ml of vegetable stock, add a splash of red wine and cook over a medium heat until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the lentils.
4. In another pan melt the butter and add the garlic, carrots, celery, chilli and onions and cook until soft.
5. Add the tomato purée and combine the lentil mix with the vegetables and simmer while mashing the potato.
6. Pour lentil mix into an over proof dish (a 20 x 30cm Pyrex roasting dish is the perfect size) and level out then spread the mashed potato out over the top.
7. Put in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until the potato is browned.