A lovely dal curry made with red split lentils, very easy and quick to make. Great served with naan or chapati. Adjust the amount of chillies as per your preference and what you have to hand.
200g of red split lentils, washed well
2 Medium red onions, diced
4 Cloves of garlic, minced
4 chillies, chopped
1 600g Jar of passata
1 Tablespoon of olive oil
2 Tablespoons of Pataks madras or vindaloo curry paste
1 Tablespoon of curry powder
1 Teaspoon of ground cumin
1 Teaspoon of ground turmeric
1 Teaspoon of chilli powder
1 Teaspoon of salt
1 Teaspoon of lazy ginger
Black pepper to taste
1. Wash the lentils in cold water until the water runs clear and put in a small pan with water to cover and simmer until tender.
2. While the lentils are cooking caramelise the onion in the olive oil in a large pan.
3. Combine the other ingredients in a bowl and mix well. When the onions are caramelised, add the curry mixture to the onions and cook over a high heat stirring constantly for a couple of minutes.
4. Reduce heat and simmer until the lentils are ready.
5. When the lentils are tender, drain if necessary and mix with the sauce and serve immediately.