Chickpea Veggie Burgers with Halloumi
This is a fantastic recipe for a very tasty veggie burger, much nicer than anything you will find at the supermarket. Makes around 6 burgers depending on size.
3 Cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 Medium red onion, chopped
1 Large carrot, grated
1 Courgette, grated
2 Red chillis, chopped
1/2 Can chickpeas, drained
1/2 Pack of halloumi cheese, diced
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
Zest of one lemon
Salt and black pepper
1/2 tsp curry powder
1. Saute the garlic in olive oil over low heat for a few minutes, add the onion and let it soften a bit, then add about half the carrots to cook until they become soft and golden.
2. While the garlic, onions, and carrots are cooking, grate the courgette into the other half of the carrots.
3. Drain the chickpeas and mash into a thick paste with a fork then add to the carrots and courgette.
4. Dice the halloumi into tiny pieces and mix into the carrot, courgette and chickpea mixture with the chopped chillis.
5. Add an egg and the lemon juice and the lemon zest. Mix all the ingredients together with salt and pepper and any other spices of your choice and shape into four patties. You may need to squeeze a bit of liquid out to get the patties to stick together better.
6. Fry the burgers in a bit of olive oil for about 8 minutes on each side until they are crispy and brown.