Lentil and Chilli Soup
This is one of my favourite soup recipes, it’s great served with some nice crusty granary bread. It is very quick to prepare and then just throw it in the slow cooker for a few hours. You can blend it after cooking for a smooth soup or leave it for that chunky style.
I put quite a lot of chillis in this for a soup as I like it fairly hot so adjust as necessary for your preference.
250g red split lentils
1 red onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped finely (reduce depending on taste – I love garlic)
2 x sticks of celery, chopped
1 x carrot, chopped
1 x potato, diced
1 litre vegetable stock
4-6 x chillis, I like to use 4 red supermarket “mixed chillis” and a couple of scotch bonnets
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon corriander
2 stock cubes
Salt & pepper
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1. Rinse lentils well and leave to soak while preparing the rest
2. Saute onion in a large pan for 5 mins
3. Add celery, carrot, garlic, potato and chilli and cook for another 5 mins
4. Add the vegetable stock, the drained lentils, bay leaves and spices
5. Bring to the boil and season to taste
6. Move to slow cooker and cook for 1 hour on high then 3-4 hours on low.