Puy Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
This is an improvement of my previous Lentil Shepherd’s Pie recipe, this one uses Puy Lentils (aka lentilles vertes) instead of the usual red split lentils and I’ve added some tomatoes. Unlike other lentils the Puy lentils retain their shape when cooked and I think the overall result in this recipe is much better. I was very pleased with how this turned out.
3 Large potatoes, peeled & cubed
250g Puy lentils (or lentilles vertes)
500ml vegetable stock
2 Large carrots, diced
2 Sticks of celery, diced
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 Cloves of garlic, crushed
2 Red chillis, finely chopped
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon of tomato purée
Splash of red wine
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt & Pepper
1. Turn oven on at Gas mark 6 to preheat
2. Wash the lentils thoroughly and put in a small pan with 500ml of vegetable stock, boil rapidly for 10 minutes then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. In a large pan saute the garlic, carrots, celery, chilli and onions for 5 minutes
4. Add the tomatoes, tomato purée and a splash of red wine and bring to the boil.
5. Add the lentils and simmer for 20 minutes or until the veg is soft. Add some water if required.
6. Meanwhile boil the diced potato in a large pan of water for 15 mins then mash with a little butter, salt and pepper.
7. Pour the lentil mix into an over proof dish, level out then spread the mashed potato out over the top.
8. Put in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until the potato is browned.