This is part of a series of posts I am doing describing some of the things I have been doing as part of the revamp of my home automation system.
When I started on the home automation road in 2002 I began with a kit of 3 X10 modules and a CM12U PC interface which I controlled via the command line X10 application Heyu and some DIY scripts, shortly afterwards I switched to the Perl based MisterHouse package which I heavily customised over the years and continued to use until recently.
Many more X10 modules were added over time giving me control of most lights in the house as well as several appliances. X10 has always had a few issues though, the modules are fairly costly although the clones available these days have improved that somewhat but the biggest issue has always been that it is susceptible to noise or interference on the mains line causing things to not turn on/off when asked or to turn on/off erroneously. As more and more electrical devices have been added around the house and with nearly every wall socket having a 4, 6, 8 or more gang adapter plugged into it these problems have only got worse.
With this in mind I’ve been gradually adding more and more Home Easy modules to replace the X10 modules that were causing problems and have now switched almost exclusively to Home Easy. Unlike X10 these modules work via RF so don’t have the same communication problems and they are very cheap, 3 appliance modules can be had for around £20 with a remote control, less if you pick them up second hand on eBay and being controlled via 433MHz OOK signals they can easily be controlled using an Arduino etc.